Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Follow Up Item: The New Polvo


I really don’t know why I’m making such a “big deal” about the new Polvo. As I said in my previous post, I was never a huge fan, even though their Merge debut Cor-Crane Secret is one of my favorite albums of the genre and era. However, as documented here and elsewhere, they’re back and Merge has posted their entire new album, In Prism, on their site for anyone’s previewing pleasure. JT sent me the link last night and since I was up at 6ish with Fox this morning and had nothing else to do but mess around with him, I figured I’d do so with said album as the backdrop and comment from there. So instead of a traditional review (‘cos I’m just ALL about those), I figured I’d post my subsequent responses and then our back and forth banter once he got into work around 8:00. Er, enjoy…



Subject: Eh…

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Joshua T. Reese wrote:
http://www.mergerecords.com/store/store_detail.php?catalog_id=626


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:17 AM, William Gladstone wrote:
Listening now...


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:32 AM, William Gladstone wrote:
Three songs in… I agree now more than ever with your "metal" opinion, or at the very least classic rock run through the Polvo filter. And again, it's "too clean" or something.


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:44 AM, William Gladstone wrote:
5 1/2 songs in...got some classic Polvo bends and Lucia has some nice rock licks.


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:00 AM, William Gladstone wrote:
Keyboards???

Also, this last song is VERY reminiscent of the last song on Cor-Crane Secret.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:08 AM, William Gladstone wrote:
And...done.

B+


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Joshua T. Reese wrote:
I am going to give it another shot but right now it is sitting at a solid C...I would file it under the "why did they bother coming back" category right now...seems like the same band doing the same things with better production and instruments. More to come though...


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:12 AM, William Gladstone wrote:
I agree...but for some reason...


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Joshua T. Reese wrote:
And that is the reason that I am going to give it another shot...if you see something there then perhaps upon another listen I will as well.


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:14 AM, William Gladstone wrote:
Well, I don't see it necessarily as something I want to purchase, and yet I find it endearing and so I want to listen to it again 'cos it may hit me as something I want to purchase.


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Joshua T. Reese wrote:
I see...but do you think that the something you saw was something that you remembered from youth? You know you are giving them the benefit of the doubt. Sort of like we used to do with the Cure and I used to do with Morrissey.


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:16 AM, William Gladstone wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what it is, but since I was never a huge Polvo fan...this feeling intrigues me...


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Joshua T. Reese wrote:
Yeah, but there is a feeling of nostalgia...if not for the band, then for that time period in general....I think that is why I was excited about the album to begin with...I always liked but never loved Polvo myself.


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:20 AM, William Gladstone wrote:
I was merely curious. I wasn't expecting it to be terrible, but then I wasn't expecting it to be spic-n-span either... If it were just a little bit dirtier, it would rival Today's Active Lifestyles.


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Joshua T. Reese wrote:
But that is said after one listen...TAL has stood the test of 30 years of listening. I think probably is that times have changed and with production a band that used to be incredibly distinct now sounds sort of ordinary.


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:13 AM, William Gladstone wrote:
Um, 15 years...


On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Joshua T. Reese wrote:
Yeah, that as well. :-)



Now, will we ever follow up with this album and give it another shot? I dunno, maybe. But I can pretty much guarantee that if In Prism, which really is a fine record considering, ends up being some sort of dark horse to my affections, you folks will be the first to hear about it (after JT).

No comments: