Monday, February 4, 2013

The Bestest of 2012...


Well, this is not my top list of 2012…why? Because the computer I was housing it on fried on me last week and I’ve yet to figure out a way to retrieve it. I know, I know, if I’d just been on the ball and gotten it done a month ago…but alas…

I have no excuse for JT other than plumb laziness on his part.

You’ve been called out, son.

However, I must bring attention to another pal’s top, or as he calls it “bestest,” of 2012. MSP has been name dropped here a time or so in the past and he always has an ear open for the most interesting of what’s going on out there. So check out his bestest picks below, complete with song links, and then go here for more categories of what floated his boat last year, both new and old.

Meanwhile, I’ll be trying to re-piece my own list…

The Bestest

Beak> » - It just kept getting into grooves and unexplainable corners and science fiction yesterdays I was feeling pretty in touch with.  And it just rocked.

Cate Le Bon Cyrk - Somewhere between nico and punk rock is easy to fall for.

Deerhoof Break Up Song - Dudes, pizzicato 5 + dymaxion + jesu + who knows what else… robot break dance me right off the taco truck and i’m smiling.

Fergus & Geronimo Funky Was the State of Affairs - ‘Cause weird ass punk rock with rayguns and kooky samples is always gonna be my thing.

Flying Lotus Until the Quiet Comes - In the back of my head kind of primal moods like nighttime in a place I used to know.

Grass Widows Internal Logic  - Best guitar and vocal lines.  My bestest of bestest I think.

Kendrick Lamar Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City - A combination of Christian religious symbolism, booty shake, and long form out sound is why I love this record.  

Lower Dens Nootropics - Taste and nuance are tricky and these folks have it.

Sharon Van Etten Tramp  - Love the lyrics and feel of this one.  It’s hard not to swoon a tad.

Weird Weeds Weird Weeds - The mood and movement is just perfect.  Listen to the track below, it’ll do better than a description.

No comments: