Sunday, December 26, 2010

Lovergirl


I would be remiss if I did not mention the passing of another musical presence. I would also be a liar if I said I'd given much thought, lo these 20 odd years, to Teena Marie or the main hit of hers I can remember, Lovergirl. But when my wife forwarded the news of her passing, I looked up the video and was instantly taken back to a part of my childhood that is so foggy I needed to pull over to the side of the road, shut my eyes and wait for the feeling to pass. This song is part of my subconscious like cafeteria food, my first trip to Disney World and Mandy, my childhood dog. Listening to this song again I had forgotten that I never had a clue what she was singing in the verses, and of course it didn't matter 'cos it was all about the chorus, throwing up your hands, shaking your hips and getting lost in the rhythm. This is why, despite all the high and low brow posturings I try to put on from time to time, at the end of the day I will always love pop.

Tell Rick we said hello, babe.

No comments: